Conflicts among nations exist as countries strive to safeguard their national interests. When deterrent and diplomatic measures fail to resolve conflicts, war can result. World organisations like the United Nations and also regional organisations like ASEAN and EU play crucial roles in resolving conflict among nations.
Students will understand that ...
- cooperation is a substitute for conflict.
- cooperation takes many complex forms.
- deterrence and diplomacy complement each other in national security.
- world and regional organizations need to work closely and maintain a high level of vigilance for international security.
- Why cooperate?
- Does having cooperation necessarily lead to a better state than before?
- Why is a two-pronged approach of deterrence and diplomacy necessary?
- Why do world and regional organizations/ agencies need to co-ordinate and maintain a high level of vigilance?
- We must ourselves defend Singapore.