Conflicts among nations exist as countries strive to safeguard their national interests. When deterrent and diplomatic measures fail to resolve conflicts, war can result. World organisations like the United Nations and also regional organisations like ASEAN and EU play crucial roles in resolving conflict among nations.
Students will understand that ...
- conflicts are caused by the inter-play of factors.
- power needs to reside in the hands of the right leaders.
- the causes of the Iraq-Kuwait Conflict (1990-91) had built up over time.
- the UN played a key role in mitigating the resolution of the Iraq-Kuwait Conflict (1990-91).
- the Iraq-Kuwait conflict had profound impacts on the region and the world.
- Why do people/countries want to expand their influence?
- Is ‘expanding influence’ a grab for power and control?
- Why did war break out in the Gulf between Iraq and Kuwait?
- How was this conflict resolved and what were the consequences?
- We must ourselves defend Singapore.
- We must preserve racial and religious harmony.